Arresting any man on the word of a woman can have several implications, sometimes even suicide. Despite this, succumbing to biased laws and pressure from the media jury, our police often takes the man into custody, the minute a woman complaints and files and FIR against him.
Such is the case of an elderly man who hanged himself in the artillery of Lal Kurti police station area in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh on Monday evening.
- On Sunday, a woman resident of the artillery area had filed a case of molestation, assault and threatening to throw acid, against one Mahesh who also lived in the same area
- Lal Kurti police went in search of the accused, but he was not found
- It is then that the police took Mahesh’s elder brother Rakesh into custody on Monday morning
- In the afternoon, Rakesh’s father Rajesh Sharma (58) reached Lal Kurti police station and repeatedly accused the police of falsely implicating his son in the case
- Senior Sharma also claimed that the young woman, who filed the case, knew his son well and also visited their home many times
- Family members also said that the girl’s side was harassing them constantly by coming home and threatening them
- The police had even taken Mahesh’s younger brother in custody for questioning, although he was released after some hours
- Rajesh told the police that he would hang himself if his son was not released
- However, the police took his remarks casually
- At around 4.30 pm on Monday evening, Rajesh Sharma gave his life by hanging himself from a fan
- The Lalkurti police were shocked as soon as they learnt about this information
- Hurriedly, the police then released Rakesh, who had been in the lockup for several hours
- The family is now preparing to file a case against the girl and her family
- Dhawal Jaiswal, ASP Cantt, confirmed that the body had been sent for post mortem
- BJP’s Cantt General Secretary Vishal said that he had gone to Lal Kurti police station for some work at around 2 pm where he found Rakesh sitting there
- Having known Rakesh from before, he made him speak with his father from his mobile
- Vishal said that even at that time, Rakesh’s father Rajesh was repeatedly talking about hanging himself, even though he tried to pacify him
A precious life gone, even before the charges were proven or the accused was pronounced guilty. If police had prima facie strong evidence to arrest the man, why did they release him instantly on hearing about the father’s suicide. The case leaves many questions unanswered.
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.
Alternately, you can also donate to us via our UPI ID: voiceformenindia@hdfcbank