This case dates back to May 2018.
Mohan Kumar, a 34-yr-old accountant hanged himself alleging his wife’s infidelity and harassment from her and his boss, with whom she allegedly had an affair. The deceased left behind a 24-page death note in a sealed envelope, addressed to DCP (West) Ravi D. Channannavar, narrating his suspicions that his wife was cheating on him.
Kumar, who worked as an accountant with a private gas agency in the city, took the step at his Cholurpalya house on Magadi Road in the KP Agrahara locality on May 2, 2018. Along with the note, Kumar had reportedly also left behind some pictures of his wife and his employer and said that they had been taken when the duo was talking. In the note he also said,
I was harassed by my wife and employer.
The death came to light when neighbours went to meet Kumar on May 3, morning and found him hanging. They then alerted the police and the body was brought down.
- Mohan and Lakshmi married in 2007 and the couple had a 9-yr-old daughter
- While Mohan worked as an accountant at a private firm until last year, Lakshmi worked as a manager in an LPG gas distribution company in Vijayanagar
- They were living separately for a year when Mohan stopped going to work and was mentally disturbed after he found out that Lakshmi had an affair with his boss
- However, her family said that Lakshmi had recently undergone a treatment for a uterus-related health issue, which was why she stayed away from her husband
- According to the family, they had taken him for counselling to help him come out of depression, however, he ended his life after 11-years of being married
- In his death note, he explained his life before and after marriage in the note
- Mohan wrote cleary how his wife harassed him and her employer did not heed to his repeated warnings
- While the 24-page note clearly talked about Kumar’s woes and his wife’s affair, the family refuted the claims and said that the deceased ‘misunderstood his wife’
- Based on the suicide note, a case of abetment of suicide had been filed against Lakshmi and her alleged paramour Amit Seth
- However, the accused were then absconding
This case is important for many angles:
- Post this media report, we did not read any further follow up on the case, thus it is unclear whether the alleged accused who were named in the suicide note are behind bars or not
- In a reverse case, where several wives have taken their lives alleging cruelty, harassment or affairs by husbands, those men are immediately nabbed and put behind bars without hearing the family’s version from the man’s side. Read one such case
- It is not a tit for tat, but demand for an equal rule of law for both genders
- There was also no specific reason why the wife was living separately from the husband, even if she had undergone a medical treatment
- Also, whenever the husband is accused, his photographs are splashed across media, while in this case and several others, the pictorial identity of both accused wife and her paramour are not made public
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.
Alternately, you can also donate to us via our UPI ID: voiceformenindia@hdfcbank