Despite Men’s Day Out taking a strong stand against fake dowry charges alleged by several women, we do understand how the dowry system continues to be a menace that India is tackling with, in spite of the Dowry Prohibition Act that was enacted in 1961.
But Kudos to Men like Jitendra Singh who has set an example by refusing a whopping sum of Rs 11 Lakhs as Dowry at the time of his wedding.
- Jitendra Singh is a Border Security Force (BSF) constable who got married to Chanchal Shekhawat in Amba Bari locality in Jaipur, Rajasthan on November 9
- Singh clearly refused to take any cash as a form of Dowry, which led to tears of joy amongst the girl’s side
- According to Govind Singh Shekhawat, 59-year-old father of the bride, initially they had a misunderstanding assuming that the guests were not happy with the arrangements made
Govind Singh told TOI,
I was shocked and initially thought either the family of the bridegroom wanted more money or they were unhappy with with the arrangements. Later, we realised that he and his family were totally against the money being offered to them. Instead as a token, the groom accepted Rs 11 and a coconut.
When Jitendra Singh was contacted by the media, he was posted in Chhattisgarh. He said,
The moment I found out that my fiancee had a degree in LLB and LLM and was further pursuing her PhD, I knew she would be good enough for my family.
It was at that moment that Jitendra’s family decided not to accept dowry and reveal this to the bride’s family on the wedding day itself.
Jitendra Singh’s father, Rajendra Singh also said that they would be 100% supportive of Chanchal’s plans of further studies considering she is preparing for Rajasthan Judicial Services (RJS).
Chanchal is preparing for Rajasthan Judicial Services (RJS) and if she becomes a magistrate, this would be more valuable for our family than money.
- Many portals and social media users are hailing this as a sign of victory for women
- However, we want to question the bride’s father, what if groom’s family had demanded the dowry? Would he have give the same at the time of marriage?
- Giving Dowry is as much as a crime as Taking Dowry
- It is the girl and their families who are more responsible for this menace
- Why is it that the girl’s side encourages such a proposal wherein they have to pay up to get their daughter married?
- What is the message you are giving to the boy’s side?
- Also, when things go out of control after marriage, there is no point complaining of Dowry harassment, because you, as girl’s parents allowed it to happen from Day 1
- And talking about Gender Equality, Men have progressed way beyond the Dowry system and are saying NO to the same; Will the Women Too come forward and start saying NO to Reverse Dowry (Alimony)?
ALSO READ –
Follow www.mensdayout.com on Facebook Twitter and Instagram.
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.
Alternately, you can also donate to us via our UPI ID: [email protected]
Leave a Reply