Time and again we have emphasised for the strictest punishment for any man who is accused and convicted of rape. However, simultaneously we have repeatedly demanded the harshest punishment for any woman who openly chooses to misuse the rape law in her favour, for various reasons that could suit her ulterior motives. Read one such case below from Amritsar, Punjab, which could be a rare case, where the woman has now been put in the dock for filing false rape charges.
- In September last year, a female law student had circulated her video on a social platform alleging sexual exploitment by the then AIG (Crime) Randhir Singh Uppal
- She had later even lodged a complaint with the police stating how the cop had had sexually exploited and harassed her after taking her to Chandigarh
- Though Uppal had refuted the allegations, the police had registered a case against him of rape, sexual harassment and criminal intimidation against him in September 2018
- His two aides Parminder Singh and Jaskaran Singh were also booked following a probe conducted by the then IG (Crime) Vibhu Raj
- A look-out circular was also issued against Uppal after he failed to appear before the police for investigation
- The FIR against Uppal was registered under Sections 376 (rape), 376-D (rape by one or more persons), 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty), 354-C (voyeurism), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 498 (enticing with criminal intent a married woman) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC); Sections 25, 27, 54, 59 of the Arms Act and relevant sections of the Information Technology Act on the victim’s complaint
- However, later the woman backtracked and gave a statement to the police that she did not want any action against the officer
The police have now submitted a complaint (Kalandra) against the woman, who had accused the AIG-rank officer of sexual harassment, in a local court under Section 182, IPC, for giving false information to a public servant to cause injury of another person. She had later retracted from her statement and sought no action from the police against the officer.
While some may argue that the girl could have withdrawn her statement under pressure, prima facie one cannot rule out withdrawal of a genuine false complaint as well. If a woman chooses to expose, name and shame a man in the court of social media, she must ensure she backs her case with evidence to be proven in the court of law as well.
Judiciary would have collapsed if every accused man was convicted by armchair online warriors.
It must be noted that the man in question here was someone who had been in power and thus he could exercise his right of filing a counter case on the woman. However, when it comes to a common man, he even ends up spending months and years in jail and all he gets at the end, is a mere acquittal.
ALSO READ –
Follow www.mensdayout.com on Facebook Twitter and Instagram
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.