A scuffle between a couple in Pune, led to the death of their six-year-old daughter. In the said case, the mother herself has been accused for murdering the child and later surrendering to the police station.
- The victim has been identified as Akshara Amit Patil, while the mother has been identified as 36-year-old Shweta Patil
- The first information report with the Dattawadi police reveals that the family had spent five years in the US and the child was a US citizen
- The child’s father, Amit Patel, 38, an IT engineer, was recently transferred to the USA again and the family was supposed to fly to Chennai for some visa procedure
- A complaint has been filed by Akshara’s grandfather, (her father’s uncle) Santosh Patil, with Dattawadi police against Shweta under section 302 (murder) of Indian Penal Code
- According to police inspector (crime) Rajendra Shahane, the family had a visa interview scheduled for the US
- On Monday, the couple picked up the daughter early from school to go for the interview
- However, there was argument between the couple following which the woman and child then went to a relative’s house in Taware colony in Dattawadi
- The girl wanted to drink water so the woman took her to the kitchen, however, she attacked her with a knife, resulting in her death
- The woman, who was a BCom graduate by education, has been booked under IPC 3020 for murder
We have sent the accused for a medical examination. She is now in a state of shock. She loses control. All she has said so far is that she feared her own people would take her daughter away.
Since the deceased child was an American, the US embassy will be intimated about the incident. The police will also send a report to the US government when the investigation is completed. According to the report, the accused had been undergoing treatment for a psychological problem since 2015.
Speaking to mid-day, Amit said,
My wife Shweta is undergoing treatment for a mental issue. To ensure a better atmosphere for her I had planned to move to the USA, but she was against it. I am shocked and regret leaving my daughter alone with her.
Not undermining the mother’s mental condition, the reason given for murder is a situation, most separated fathers face in India. In almost 90% of the cases, the custody of the child is handed over to the mother, despite father having done no wrong. The man is made to live a childless and lonely life just because they choose to separate from their spouse for various reasons. However, a mother may get away with sympathy if she tries to justify the step because of alleged separation from child.
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.