The Uttar Pradesh government has announced to gift cycles to the daily wage workers who have daughters and who have passed Grade 10 and Grade 12. The labour department will be providing free cycles to girls for higher education.
The State Government has announced this scheme under the Sant Ravidas Shiksha Sahayata Yojana UP, where daughter of labourers will be given free cycles after passing their high school and inter-college exams. Earlier, state government had been providing scholarships to the girls, however, cycles will be an addition from now on.
More than two and a half lakh workers have registered in Prayagraj alone. Daughters of these labourers will be entitled to this benefit. However, the scheme will be applicable only to those labourers who will meet the criteria as listed by the government.
Currently, only the workers who have registered themselves with the Labour Department and who have completed 90 days of their registration, will be applicable to get the cycles.
ALSO READ –
Assistant Labor Commissioner Gautam Giri said that there are nearly 2,53,000 labourers in the district who have registered themselves with the labour department. Of these, more than 50,000 workers are eligible under the scheme.
The department is also running public awareness campaign in order to educate everyone about this scheme. The government wants to spread maximum awareness so that labourers can take advantage of the same.
- We have never been against encouraging girls towards education
- However, it is also unfair that in the name of empowerment, we are luring parents and their daughters with these freebees
- The message driven through such schemes is that women at all age and stage will have privileges either from government or even through the law and order system
- Also, does our government realise what impression are we creating in the minds of young boys who can be equally ambitious, but may face inferior treatment by their parents as a reverse case of Gender Inequality
- Instead of balancing out gender discrimination, we are merely turning the bias to other side
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.
Alternately, you can also donate to us via our UPI ID: voiceformenindia@hdfcbank