A class 12 student allegedly committed suicide in Gurugram’s upscale residential condominium in DLF Phase V area on Tuesday night. The deceased, a resident of DLF Carlton Estate, jumped from the balcony of his flat on 11th floor of the building at around 11 pm on May 5.
Six days after a 17-year-old jumped to his death from the 11th floor of his Gurgaon flat, purportedly after another teenager accused him of molestation on a social media post, a Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been formed to conduct the probe.
In the order issued by DCP (East) regarding the matter, it has been stated,
For the investigation of the above matter, a Special Investigation Team is formed under the leadership of Assistant Commissioner of Police, DLF, which includes the following…
The four-member SIT, the order states, apart from ACP (DLF), will include the Station House Officer of the Sector 53 police station, and two personnel from the Cyber police station.
ALSO READ –
Delhi Police Investigation Exposes Bois Locker Room Controversy: Rape Chats Sent By Girl Using Fake Male ID
The police also confirmed that received the order regarding the SIT yesterday. ACP (DLF) Karan Goyal said,
The officers in charge have also met the family of the boy and are conducting further investigations in the matter. No FIR has been registered yet.
As reported by The Indian Express, teenager’s aunt, who has been staying with the parents since his death, also confirmed that the family had been called by the ACP for a meeting on Monday. She said,
We met ACP Goyal yesterday, who told us that an SIT is being formed to investigate this matter. We are hopeful that an FIR will be lodged soon.
Following a representation from the teenager’s family, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) also took cognizance of the matter, writing to the DCP of the area and asking that he look into the allegations made by the complainant. The commission further recommended that after rendering counselling to the aforesaid girl, her statement may be recorded.
ALSO READ –
Independent Journalist Deepika Bhardwaj too tweeted on this matter on May 11 stating that she had written to Priyank Kanoongo, Chairperson – National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) detailing the sequence of events leading to the minor’s death — calling them disturbing, worrisome & extremely painful. The letter also states ‘either his guilt or his innocence must be concluded for his parents to get a closure and for society also to know the truth’.
Bhardwaj also demanded some accountability to be brought about regarding social media trials that are happening in these cases so that the society doesn’t end up having more XXXs ending their life. Her tweet read,
Have emailed @NCPCR_ requesting them to take cognizance of suicide by 17yr old XXX from Gurgaon & trend of naming & shaming of even minors on social media. Hope they respond. Will be sending this to HMO, PMO & CM Haryana too. Urge everyone to do it.
To this, Priyank Kanoongo, Chairman National Commission for Protection of Child Rights replied that they had taken cognisance of the matter on May 6 itself and investigation has already begun.
इस घटना पर आयोग 6 मई को संज्ञान ले चुका है तथा आवश्यक कार्यवाही प्रारम्भ की जा चुकी है। आपकी सजगता के लिए धन्यवाद।
In his complaint to police last week, the boy’s father had alleged that the “immense distress, shame, fear and unbearable anxieties” cause by the “defamatory, slanderous, illegal post” had led to his son committing suicide, and had sought that a case be registered against “all persons who have posted the said illegal post” and against “the platform Instagram which allowed the public dissemination of such illegal and obnoxious post”.
The boy’s mobile phone, which had a fingerprint lock, following his death, has been handed over to the police to unlock and probe its contents. We shall be following this story and bring you updates.
Note: This boy was not a part of Bois Locker Room and there are many incorrect stories floating in the media.
ALSO READ –
We are now on Telegram. Follow Us For More Updates
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.