25-year-old Sikh man, identified as Ravinder Singh, was allegedly murdered in Peshawar, Pakistan on January 4, 2020. Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), India had taken to twitter to express their anguish as the murder was suspected to be targeting the minority community in Pakistan.
The message from MEA read:
India strongly condemns targeted killing of minority Sikh community member in Peshawar (Pakistan) that follows recent despicable vandalism & desecration of Gurdwara Sri Janam Asthan at Nankana Sahib & unresolved case of abduction, forced conversion&marriage of a Sikh girl
India calls upon the Government of Pakistan to stop prevaricating & take immediate action to apprehend & give exemplary punishment to the perpetrators of these heinous acts.
MEA: India calls upon the Government of Pakistan to stop prevaricating & take immediate action to apprehend & give exemplary punishment to the perpetrators of these heinous acts. https://t.co/bEKU34REsF
— ANI (@ANI) January 5, 2020
ALSO READ –
However, in a shocking turn of events, the real story behind Singh’s murder has been revealed. The murder of Ravinder, hailing from the remote Shangla district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in Pakistan was a case of “contract killing” by his fiancée, who has now been arrested.
- Ravinder was based in Malaysia and had come to Pakistan for his wedding to be held on January 28
- He was found murdered in Chamkani area of Peshawar on the night of January 4
- According to the police, Ravinder’s 18-year-old fiancée, Prem Kumari, did not want to marry him and planned his killing
- Kumari promised the hitmen Rs 700,000 to murder Ravinder
- Part of the committed money was paid in advance, while the rest had to be paid after the murder
- After a series of raids and interrogations conducted by the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police, local media quoted police as saying that Ravinder Singh was actually killed in town of Mardan, 68 kms from Peshawar, by hitmen who were hired by Ravinder’s fiancée
- The breakthrough came when one of the hitmen was apprehended by the police in Mardan and he spilled the beans
- According to the investigation team, Ravinder was murdered in Mardan and later his body was shifted to Peshawar by the hitmen to create confusion about the circumstances of his death
- Police said that they had taken Prem Kumari into custody and will continue investigation
India had strongly condemned vandalism at the revered Gurdwara Nankana Sahib in Pakistan just before this incident, and called upon the neighbouring country to take immediate steps to ensure the safety and security of the Sikh community there.
The Indian ministry of external affairs had issued a statement saying it condemned “the killing of minority Sikh community member in Peshawar targeted”. Jumping the gun, Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri had tweeted:
Persecution of minorities in Pakistan is for real. Do those opposed to CAA [the Citizenship Amendment Act] still need more proof?
The Citizenship Amendment Act fast-tracks naturalisation for Pakistani, Afghan and Sikh illegal immigrants from six non-Muslim minority communities (including Sikhs and Hindus), who entered India on or before December 31, 2014.
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.
Alternately, you can also donate to us via our UPI ID: voiceformenindia@hdfcbank