Remember the suicide case of Delhi based air hostess, Anissia Batra? Anissia was employed with the German airline Lufthansa, and had killed herself on July 13 evening by jumping off the terrace of her South Delhi home. After social media outrage and repeated media attention, Anissia’s husband was arrested a few days later after her death on charges causing dowry death.
While there is no This Vs That in any suicide case, below incident of a Gurugram husband committing suicide last week, saw zero media coverage, barring one in The Tribune India. What is it really about? ‘The Gender’ or not getting enough readership if the deceased is a man?
- A 38-year-old businessman hung himself to death on the 14th floor of Tulip Violet building in Sector 69 in the wee hours, just a day after Dussehra at 3am on October 09
- Neeraj Dutt, son of a Bihar ex-DGP got married to Priyanka in 2017
- The couple had a love marriage and infact Neeraj had gone against the wish of his parents to marry the love of his life
- However the couple soon faced a turbulence in the marriage, when Priyanka allegedly got into an affair with Neeraj’s friend Rajan Bhardwaj
- As alleged by Neeraj in his suicide notes, both his wife and her paramour started harassing him mentally and instead of feeling embarrassed of being in the wrong themselves, they started character assassinating him in society
- Neeraj ended his life leaving a note that he was a very strong man but his life became a living hell because of harassment by Priyanka and Rajan and that’s why he was ending his life
- The suicide note also mentioned multiple times, that his parents who are very old should not be harassed and that remained his last wish
- The note clearly states that both Priyanka and Rajan were solely responsible for his death
- Neeraj has left three suicide notes — One that he pasted on his chest with tape before hanging himself, and other two were kept inside his house (leaving directions for the police to find them)
- On the evening of Dussehra when the entire country were celebrating and in jubilant mood, Neeraj went and bought a rope and prepared himself for the last moments of his life
- Incidentally, Neeraj had been trying to take his life for last 15 days but stopped himself every time thinking about his family
- However, the situation that his wife and her partner had created in his life made him feel that he had no reason to continue living like this
- The police booked his wife and her friend for abetment after three different suicide notes were found
- During the search of his flat, two more handwritten suicide notes were found from the refrigerator and the grill of the window
Sub-inspector Arvind Kumar, the investigating officer from the Badshahpur police station in Sohna said,
In the suicide notes, Neeraj has alleged that his wife Priyanka and one Rajan Bhardwaj were responsible for his death. The maintenance team checked the CCTV footage. He is seen coming out of the lift at the 14th floor at 2.27 am with a bag.
Anupam Dutt, brother of the deceased, filed a complaint against his brother’s wife and her friend. As per the complaint, an FIR has been registered against Priyanka and Rajan Bhardwaj at Badshahpur police station.
- No arrests have been made yet
- Neeraj’s father is a retired IPS officer
- Neeraj has a brother and sister, both of whom are married and live in Gurugram
When mainstream media fails to report these stories, independent journalists step in to convey the other side to society. The inputs in the above case have been shared by Deepika Bhardwaj, who co-incidentally happens to live in the same society where the suicide took place.
It is absolutely just when we outrage over suicide of any woman or a wife, but it is beyond shameful for us as a society, when we conveniently ignore demonstrating any emotions when a husband is harassed, humiliated and also forced to end his life.
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.