Singer turned actor Karan Oberoi was recently in the news as he was arrested and kept in judicial custody in an alleged rape case by his ex-girlfriend.
Karan had to spend one full month in jail before getting a bail order from the court. He may be out on bail, however, the tag of rapist will unfortunately stay with him forever. Fake cases on men only become an eye opener when they themselves or their near and dear ones go through the ordeal. Until then, we as a society always believe the woman to be the victim.
To fight this gender bias, Karan has become active in the fight towards Gender Equality and Against Fake Cases where a man’s image can be tarnished by the mere word of a woman.
Being a member of the Indi pop group ‘A Band of Boys’, Karan Oberoi has released a new original song called Rishton Ka Vyapaar (The Business Of Relationships). The song is now out on the Times Music YouTube channel and happens to be included in a web series called Title Role.
Written and sung by Oberoi himself, the music video involves video snippets from fake cases registered against men, along with pictures from various rallies that support the idea that crime has no gender. Although it will be a long night before innocent men wake up to a new dawn, Karan has supported the idea from the very beginning, now putting it together in a melodious song.
- Oberoi was arrested on May 6 and was sent to 14 days of judicial custody by an Andheri court
- An FIR was registered against him under sections 376 (rape) and 384 (extortion) of the Indian Penal Code
- According to the FIR, the actor allegedly raped the woman on the pretext of marrying her
- The FIR also stated that Oberoi not only raped the woman and filmed the act but also demanded money from the victim and threatened to release the video if she did not pay the requisite sum
- In June, the 34-year-old woman, who accused Karan of rape and extortion, planned her own attack with the help of her lawyer Ali Kaashif Khan
- The police then charged the rape accuser for giving false information with respect to an offence under the Indian Penal Code
- Karan was granted bail by the Bombay High Court on June 7 this year, after spending around a month in judicial custody
MUST READ –
And now the latest we hear is that he and his sister have filed a police complaint against his ex-girlfriend for practicing witchcraft. Karan also shared how he has suffered for a long time and had filed a complaint about it but no action was taken. He quoted,
I have suffered for a long time. While I had clearly mentioned her association with witchcraft in my complaint, no action has been taken against her till date. Practising witchcraft is a serious crime in Maharashtra, and one can’t get away using the gender card. Every time someone gets away with an unlawful practice, it emboldens the others to follow suit. For the good of society, it’s important to keep crime and punishment gender-neutral. Initiatives like #MenToo are the need of the hour.
The family hopes for the truth to prevail soon.
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.
Alternately, you can also donate to us via our UPI ID: voiceformenindia@hdfcbank