Laws are made to protect women, however, besides rampant misuse, some choose to opt for direct justice by taking the same law in their own hands. Such is the case reported from Rajasthan.
- On August 14, Rupadevi Odhanian, alleged that her husband Khetaram was murdered by unknown persons in front of a shop at night
- She said that the his body was later picked up and slammed on to one side of the road
- Jaisalmer SP Kiran Kang who was investigating the case questioned the deceased’s wife in custody on August 17 after she suspected the murder to be suspicious
- The wife initially misled the police by not giving out all facts
- However, later she admitted, that due to constant harassment by the husband, she gave a contract of one lakh rupees to Lalaram, the son of her husband’s rival, Madan
- She had also paid Rs 20,000 in advance
- The police questioned Madan by taking him in custody as well, and it was found that he had indeed murdered Khetaram along with his two other companions Hemaram’s son Pokharam and Motu, residents of Yayana Sanavada
- Police have arrested accused Madan, Hemaram, Rupa Devi, wife of the deceased
Khetaram had an old rivalry with Madan and had also filed a police complaint under Section 151 CrPC about 10 months ago. Rupa Devi told the police that she was allegedly beaten by her husband who was a drunkard and thus she called Madan to plan his elimination.
Have citizens lost faith in our legal system? Why do we fear to approach police or courts if there is a genuine harassment in the home? Common people taking law in their hands is a very alarming sign for our society, where instant justice is sought for by eliminating someone you feel is not right.
Nothing can be justified for a murder, but somewhere the system does fail us today.
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.