Its a month now that a 17-year-old boy jumped to death from his apartment in DLF Phase V in Gurugram. The suicide took place on May 4, after the boy’s female friend posted her #MeToo account on instagram of being sexually exploited by the minor. The girl had narrated one sided details which allegedly transpired between her and the deceased boy two years ago.
After much uproar in social media, a special investigating team (SIT) had been formed and eventually within a fortnight, FIR was registered against ‘unknown persons’.
ALSO READ –
Now in a recent update, father of the minor boy has submitted a list of names to the police of all those he believes had a role to play in driving his son to suicide. The father alleges trolling, bullying and threatening of his son within two hours after the post went viral.
The parents were asleep in their room when the young boy walked to the balcony and jumped. The girl alleged he had insisted on meeting her a few days after they began talking in school. And when they met outside her housing society, he had allegedly proposed walking to the basement and, once there, asked her to perform a sexual act on him.
After news of the boy dying of suicide was reported the next day, social media users had lashed out on the girl. However, she had later told TOI she stood by her post.
ALSO READ –
In his recent interview to TOI, the father says that the post by the girl was not a spontaneous one but a planned move by a group of four-five girls. He has also alleged that an adult man is involved too as his son had received threats over the phone from him. The father quoted,
The post caused acute mental harassment and maligned my son’s image. I was also told by his friends that he also received threat calls from a man. I got the man’s phone number from my son’s call records, but it has been switched off since May 5.
Other than the man who allegedly called his son, all the others in the list he gave police are minors. ACP (Sadar) Aman Yadav, who is heading the investigation, said,
ALSO READ –
I cannot share more on this at this point of time. We are waiting for details from the social media company.
While one can only await for absolute justice in this case, we also hope this case can caution many young girls today, who want to name and shame boys with one sided story, because they believe there won’t be any consequences for the same. We also hope for adult social media users not to react instantly on any one sided accusations as the same could be fatal for the accused even before being proven guilty.
ALSO READ –
We are now on Telegram. Follow Us For More Updates
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.
Alternately, you can also donate to us via our UPI ID: voiceformenindia@hdfcbank