A marriage in Uttar Pradesh’s Bareily was called off as few of groom’s friends dragged the bride to the dance floor. The father of the woman said that his daughter could not be forced to tie the knot with a man who does not respect her.
The bride’s side left the wedding venue without solemnising the marriage. However, here’s the twist to this ‘sanskari‘ (well cultured) family who also settled the matter by taking money from the groom’s family.
The groom belongs to a village in Bareilly district, while the bride is from Kannauj district. Both are post graduates. On Friday, the bride and her family arrived in Bareilly for a grand wedding ceremony. Everything seemed perfect till some friends of the groom dragged the bride to the dance floor, triggering a heated argument between the two sides.
Wedding Called Off, Bride’s Family Settles With Money
Following this, the wedding was cancelled, and the bride decided to go back home. However, the bride’s family also filed a dowry complaint against the groom’s family. The two sides then arrived at a ‘settlement’ after the groom’s family agreed to pay Rs 6.5 lakh. A police officer as reported by TOI, quoted:
The wedding has been called off. The woman’s family had given a dowry complaint. No FIR was registered since it is an issue between two families. They reached a settlement.
ALSO READ –
On Sunday, the groom’s family attempted to convince the bride’s family for re-arranging a simple ceremony to solemnise the marriage, but in vain. The bride refused to tie the knot over the “misbehaviour” meted out to her.
As reported by TOI, a visibly upset intermediary said that guests from both sides started misbehaving, however, no one misbehaved with the bride.
- Every person, be it the bride or the groom must be respected before, during and after marriage
- If the groom’s side misbehaved or were disrespectful towards the woman, she had all the right to stand up and leave – which she did
- However, filing of alleged dowry harassment case after the dance fiasco, seems highly suspicious
- Also – if the man who is not even married to you demanded dowry – the woman and her parents should have officially filed an FIR and ensured that the groom’s family was sent to jail
- However, the self respecting family instead chose to settle with cash and return home
- What do such monetary settlements indicate where we term dowry as illegal, but reverse dowry or cash payments to women and their families as rightful empowerment
- Also, the police official’s statement of overlooking the matter because both parties mutually ‘settled’ is outrageous to say the least
- The alimony and extortion industry is thriving by misusing women centric laws which were made to protect women
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.
Alternately, you can also donate to us via our UPI ID: voiceformenindia@hdfcbank