On Sunday, Vikhroli police in Mumbai arrested former assistant commissioner of police’s wife for allegedly trying to extort Rs 5 lakh from a tempo owner for smuggling gutka into the city.
- Bharti Damodhar Chaudhari, 52, who is a member of the BJP, is accused of blackmailing and also impersonating a police officer
- According to the police, Deepak Gupta, a resident of Dahisar, was transporting boxes of pan masala (Gutka) to Bhendi Bazaar area on the orders of his superior, B K Bhai
- The tempo was stopped opposite Godrej company near Vikhroli on the Eastern Express Highway
- A man and a woman (Bharti) got out of a Maruti Suzuki Ertiga car
- They told the driver that they were police and that they knew he was transporting gutka
- According to the complainant, they then threatened and directed him to call his boss, asking him to bring Rs 5 lakh
- Lakhmi Gautam, additional commissioner of police, Eastern Region informed media that the woman and her accomplice were later arrested
- The police also said the two accused have been sent to judicial custody
- They have been booked under Sections 385 (putting person in fear of injury to commit extortion), 341 (punishment for wrongful restrain), 170 (personating a public servant) and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code
About Bharti’s Husband
- Bharti’s husband Damodhar recently retired from the city police force
- The couple are yet to vacate their official residence
- Damodhar served with Chunabhatti (near Sion) police station as a senior inspector and retired from the Local Arms Division
- In 2017 he was booked for abetment to suicide
#CrimeHasNoGender and thus women centric laws must be done away with. However, we often witness that despite arrests, the punishments awarded to criminal women are always lenient.
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.
Alternately, you can also donate to us via our UPI ID: voiceformenindia@hdfcbank