The law student, who accused BJP leader Chinmayanand of rape, and her three friends were booked for extortion by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) on September 22.
The SIT was formed by the state government on the direction of the Supreme Court to probe two cases:
- The first case was lodged by the girl and her father, who had accused Chinmayanand of rape and abducting his daughter
- The second case was lodged against an unidentified person for sending a threatening message to Chinmayanand and demanding Rs 5 crore extortion money
According to police sources in Shahajahanpur, the name of the victim has been included in the FIR, registered against three of her friends on the basis of a complaint by the BJP leader accusing them of trying to black mail the seer.
While the former Union minister was arrested by the SIT on Friday and sent to 14 days’ judicial custody, the SIT also booked the woman on charges of causing disappearance of evidence. The case has been registered against the woman’s three friends—Sanjay Singh, Sachin Sengar, Vikram alias Durgesh and an unnamed person (Ms A). The unnamed person was the law student herself, but the police had not disclosed her identity in view of the Supreme Court guidelines.
SIT chief Naveen Arora had on Friday said that the three friends, when questioned in view of a video clip in which they were purportedly discussing extortion, had accepted their involvement in the case. Thus, they had been booked under IPC:
- Section 385 (extortion)
- Section 506 (criminal intimidation)
- Section 201 (disappearance of evidences)
- Section 35 (criminal act done with a criminal knowledge or intention)
- Section 67 of the Information Technology Act
On her name being included in the extortion case, the woman said,
I do not know if the people who helped me escape from Chinmayanand were using me. I have nothing to do with the extortion case. I think all this drama is being done to dilute my charges of rape.
On September 20, Deepika Bhardwaj, independent journalist, had posted the below video quoting:
This is the gang that asked #Chinmayanand 5 crores in exchange for not releasing his videos. When he refused is when rape allegations came. Anyone who’s seen those videos can make out they’ve been captured carefully. Sorry but a rape victim doesn’t make 43 videos with her rapist and laugh away like this about what happened with her.
WATCH VIDEO –
Our Take :
- This is exactly what Men’s Rights Activists are fighting for
- Surely the activism is not in support of a rapist or against any female victim
- The fight is against the misuse of laws, using them as a tool to threaten and extort money from the alleged accused
- If the man in this case is guilty, he must get the strictest punishment, however, if the charges of extortion to bury rape accusations are found to be true against the woman, she should face the law equally as well
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.